I’ve compiled a list of the most frequent complaints I see in the various machine embroidery groups I’m in. Often there’s no short answer to these issues because usually there’s more than one cause!
I will try to update this page with more links as I have them. Or, just search the blog. Related articles can be found at the end of the blog posts.
Note: This is not a complete list of all blog posts on this site!
- Top 8 Things You Need to Know for Machine Embroidery
- What Machine Should I Buy?
- Getting Started with Machine Embroidery
- Getting Down to Basics: Not Just for Newbies
- Hooping Basics for Machine Embroidery (video post)
- 13 Things to Check Before You Press the Start Button on Your Embroidery Machine
- 19 Bad Machine Embroidery Habits You Need to Break
- 20 Things Every Machine Embroiderer Should Know!
- Learn More: The Embroidery Recipe
Thread & Tension Issues
Quality Issues (Puckering, Gaps, etc.)
- Got Puckers? 9 Professional Pointers for Pucker Prevention
- Why Does My Embroidery Pucker?
- Do Your Outlines Ever Look Like This?
- Why Are My Outlines Off on My Embroidery Design?
- Why You Should Stop Color Sorting Every Design
- 7 Ways to Deal with Overly Dense Designs
- About Those Dreaded Jump Stitches!
- Does Machine Embroidery Shrink Fabric
- How to Remove Machine Embroidery from a Garment
- Why Test Embroidery Designs?
- Troubleshooting Embroidery Quality Issues
- How to Analyze an Embroidery Design
- Embroidery Basics: Understanding Compensation
- Embroidery Basics: Understanding Density
- Effects of Stitch Length & Density on Stitch Count
- Machine Embroidery Basics: Understanding Underlay
- The Myth of the “600% Zoom” Rule
- Learn More: Anatomy of a Design
- Free Video Class on Free-Standing Lace
- 13 Tips for a Better In-the-Hoop Bag Project
- Getting Great Free-Standing Lace Embroidery Results
- How to Get Accurate Hoop Placement Quickly & Easily
- How to Get Perfect Monograms on Terry Cloth Towels
- How to Machine Embroider on Ribbon with Metallic Thread
- Sewing Continuous Hoop Designs
- Tips for Machine Embroidered Applique
- Tips for Cutting Fabric Appliques with the Brother Scan n Cut
Just for Fun
How to Become a Better Embroiderer Faster!
As you've probably figured out by now, machine embroidery is more than throwing something in a hoop, attaching it to your machine, and pushing a few buttons!
You'll learn more about embroidery if you sew a wide range of designs, on a wide range of fabrics while watching your machine stitch.
Taking lots of classes, reading lots of articles, attending a variety of events to talk with other embroiderers and educators helps too.
Of course, that takes time and $$ but guess what? I've been doing all that for over 25 years and I've compiled my experience into an ebook that you can download immediately. It's the closest thing you can get to doing a Vulcan mind meld with me!
Read more about this book here: The Embroidery Recipe: How Your Ingredients Affect Your Results.
If you're ready for more advanced material, get under the hood of an embroidery design with Anatomy of a Design: How to Think Like a Digitizer & Become a Better Embroiderer.
Better yet, just download your copy now and get a jumpstart!