Looking for something quick and easy to celebrate Halloween? Having a party and want some little special something? These small free-standing lace Halloween designs are just the ticket!
How To Stitch
- Use a wash-away fiber stabilizer, not film. I used 2 layers so more stabilizer would be left in after a quick rinse.
- For a design that looks good on both sides, match your bobbin thread color (60wt poly or finer in the bobbin)
- Make sure your machine is in good working order and your tensions are well-managed for a clean result.
- Do whatever you need to prevent the stabilizer from slipping.
What Thread to Use
These designs were digitized for 40wt. embroidery thread.
If you wish you use a glow-in-the-dark thread, these threads are typically thicker even though they may be rated as 40wt. Threads are measured by weight, not thickness, and different fiber types of the same weight may be a different thickness.
Stitching More Than 1 at a Time
How to Finish
I laid out the damp lace pieces (shape if necessary) on a cork coaster and then layered another coaster with some weights to have them dry flat.
For larger lace pieces, i use a cookie cooling rack but these were just too small for that.
When dry, you can use jewelry findings to add small jump rings (I used 6mm) to attach into the lace loop. Then add to an earring finding or 25mm stemware loop.
Tips for A More Durable Embroidery
Machine embroidered FSL is composed of thread and it’s the stabilizer that’s left in the design that keeps it stiff. Over time, with handling, your design can “wimp out” and become floppy. There are several ways you can protect and preserve your lace.
Some things to try:
- Apply a thinned down wash of Elmer’s glue to your design
- Use Terial Magic for long-lasting stiffness
- Mist with clear matt acrylic spray. This is a quick and easy for large quantities at once.
With a little bit of creativity and small beads and crystals, you can further embellish your designs as my friend, Debi Kuennen-Baker did with these samples.
You can make matched pairs by mirroring a second version or mix and match different designs for your own combination.
These sew up quickly and can be sewn and sold in your Etsy shop or at a craft fair.
Get Yours Here!
The Mix & Match Free-Standing Lace Halloween Earrings, Wine Glass Charms, or Tags set includes 14 tiny Halloween-themed designs, all smaller than approximately 1.5″.
Mix and match different designs for your own creations.
These designs are available individually and as a set.
Where to Get Products Used
More Halloween Designs